Headmaster’s Summer Message
The Summer Term began this week at King's with accompanying weather that suggests that our sports programme will not be disrupted by the vagaries of last term.
There was an informed and effective presentation to 6b parents on the first night of Term by Paula Williams and her team about the University Application system. The complex and highly competitive nature of the current systems for Admission to leading UK, US and European universities is certainly a hot topic as the very crowded Schoolroom showed.
The main themes behind the presentation and the subsequent 'Question and Answer' session were that the most important factors behind success are:-
· Careful research through the UCAS and university web-sites for the most suitable course.
· A genuine interest in the chosen course, one that is articulated both in written form and, if required, orally at interview, in a passionate and thoughtful manner.
· Prudent selection of a portfolio of institutions based on the school’s objective data on academic performance - one aspirational choice above predictions, two or three spot-on predictions and one or two as a safety option below expectations.
· That parents and the school's university tutorial teams are supportive and informed, but in the background guiding and informing since the biggest factor behind success is the sense of focus, drive and enthusiasm the pupil invests into the Application Process.
· Finally, that King’s is enjoying much success in University Applications, but that good candidates can/are turned down by competitive universities and degree courses - thus, post 'A' level applications, 'Gap' year plans and reapplications often lead to better outcomes than applying just for the sake of it first time round.
Peter Roberts, Headmaster