Galpin's takes its name from The Reverend Arthur Galpin, Headmaster from 1897-1910. It was built in the 1860s for use as the Headmaster's house, and it became a boys' boarding house in 1952.
Galpin's occupies the site of the monastic Aula Nova. Part of this ancient structure, most notably the Norman Staircase, remains to this day. The main entrance is in the Mint Yard, and the garden is bordered by the City wall.
Galpin's is twinned with Harvey House.
Notable former members of Galpin's include Michael Morpurgo (author of Warhorse and recently Children's Laureate), and Jonathan Powell, Chief of Staff to Tony Blair in No 10 Downing St.
Vice-Captain of School: Francis Bushell
Head of House: Kevin John
Housemaster: Dr Tim Waite
The Grange takes its name from its former home in the Precincts between 1928 and 2007. It was accommodated in a 19th century house built on the ruins of a former granary.
The new house was officially opened in September 2007 by Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor.
The Grange is twinned with Walpole House.
Notable former members of The Grange include Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor (the late distinguished travel writer), and Antony Worrall Thompson (celebrity chef).
Head of House: William Kirk
Housemaster: Mr Mark Orders
The mellow Georgian brickwork of Linacre House lies within the shadow of the Cathedral.
Named after Thomas Linacre, founder of the Royal College of Physicians who was educated in Canterbury, the building was originally part of the medieval Prior's lodgings.
It was later a Canon's house and acquired its present appearance in the 1740s. When Canon Nelson, brother of Horatio, lived here, Lady Hamilton is reputed to have danced on a table in the room that is now the Head of House's study.
Linacre is twinned with Luxmoore House.
Notable former members of Linacre include David Gower (England cricketer), and Fred Scarlett (Olympic rowing gold medallist at Sydney 2000).
Head of House: George Howard-Smith
Housemaster: Mr Mat Lister
Meister Omers, popularly known as MO, was built in the 13th century by Cardinal Beaufort. It has had a distinguished history: Edward IV held a Parliament here in 1470, Cardinal Coligny died here in suspicious circumstances in 1568, and the royal coat of arms of Queen Elizabeth I in the hall marks her visit in 1573.
MO has steadily evolved to meet the demands of modern boarding; it underwent an extensive refurbishment in 2013.
MO is twinned with Luxmoore and Kingsdown House, adjacently situated within the Cathedral Precincts.
Notable former pupils include Tunku Imran (President of the Commonwealth Games Federation), Oz Clarke (wine expert), and James Turner (Team Leader of the Red Arrows).
Deputy Head Scholar: Donghui Jia
Head of House: Kay Minkiewicz
Housemaster: Mr Richard Ninham
School House is the original boarding house. The present buildings were opened in the 1860s and the main entrance is situated in the Mint Yard.
The House lies at the heart of the school with easy access to all academic departments, the Edred Wright Music School and the Dining Room.
School House is twinned with Jervis House.
Notable former members of School House include Michael Foale (astronaut and astro-physicist), and John Lloyd (producer of television programmes such as Blackadder, Not the Nine O'Clock News and QI).
Head of House: Francis Hall
Housemaster: Mr Matthew Thornby
Tradescant House is named after John Tradescant (KS 1619-23), the distinguished gardener and collector. The building was designed by William Butterfield and opened as part of St Augustine's College in 1848.
The school acquired the St. Augustine site in 1976; Tradescant House opened as a boys' boarding house that same year.
Tradescant is twinned with Broughton House, adjacently situated in St. Augustine's.
Head of House: Nicholas Curley
Housemaster: Mr Adam Stennett