In line with Legislation and Government Guidance, we have carried out a Coronavirus (Covid-19) Risk Assessment for our schools. A summary of the results can be found below, the headings for which reflect our Staying Covid-19 Secure commitment.
Coronavirus Risk Assessment:
- Reminding our school community (staff, pupils, parents / carers / guardians, visitors and contractors) that anyone with symptoms listed in government guidance, must not access our school sites, this applies equally to anyone who is required to isolate;
- Updating and communicating our staff and pupil wellbeing provisions;
- Ensuring our staff have an individual risk assessment where appropriate;
- Minimising contact and mixing by grouping pupils into ‘bubbles’ (a bubble is a consistent group of pupils which stays away from other people and groups);
- Ensuring appropriate consultation and communication with our school community including via the Risk Committee and Health and Safety Committee;
- Ensuring departmental procedures (including for our catering and transport functions and our Recreation Centre) are updated to include the coronavirus hazard and associated control measures;
- Updating boarding procedures and signing up to the bsa Covid Safe Charter;
- Maintaining our on-site Asymptomatic Testing Site (ATS) for our Boarding pupils;
- Supporting staff, and pupils of Year 7 and above, with home testing using the Lateral Flow Devices (LFDs);
- Establishing procedures and responsibilities for engaging with NHS Test and Trace;
- Providing Education On Line to pupils who are unable to return to site due to international travel restrictions;
- Establishing our contingency planning processes including moving more pupils to on-line learning in response to government direction;
- Supporting international pupils with return arrangements or continued on-line learning as required;
- Updating contractor and visitor policies.
Cleaning, Handwashing and Hygiene Procedures:
- Enhancing our cleaning procedures in line with government guidance;
- Using meticulous cleaning and / or quarantine for shared items;
- Installing additional handwashing facilities, adopting handwashing protocols (reinforced by briefings and signage) and providing sanitiser at key locations;
- Ensuring good respiratory hygiene by promoting the ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ approach.
A Covid-19 Secure Workplace and Working from Home:
- Reviewing and adapting our physical environment including one ways systems, keep left protocol, additional catering facilities and increased use of outdoor spaces;
- Updating our Health Centre procedures including the actions to be taken in the event of a suspected or actual Covid-19 case;
- Encouraging staff and pupils to follow government guidelines when travelling to and from school;
- Taking reasonable steps to help people work from home where appropriate;
- Supporting staff who have been advised to shield.
2m Social Distancing and Mitigating Actions to Manage Transmission Risk:
- Reinforcing the requirement for staff to maintain 2m social distance from each other and pupils;
- Re-arranging classrooms to prioritise forward facing seating;
- Issuing policy on the wearing of face coverings in school and instructing staff and pupils on the safe use;
- Installing screens as appropriate (at reception desks and catering serveries for example);
- Prioritising the use of natural ventilation (opening windows and doors) whilst continuing to maintain fire safety measures;
- Updating first aid provision and procedures in line with appropriate guidance.
During these un-precedented times we continue to comply with our other statutory duties in line with our Health and Safety Policy.