A group of Remove History pupils visited the Crown at Wye, it was dug in 1902 for the Coronation of Edward VII. The story of the Crown is explored in Dr Perkins article in the latest edition of Kent Life, and available to read online here.

As a bonus, pupils explored the nearby well of St Eustace in Withersden. It was here that the Vice Principal of the South Eastern Agricultural College set up his theodolite surveying tool to help mark out the Crown. The well was especially famous in the Middle Ages for its healing powers. The legend is that it was named for Eustachius, Abbot of Flai. He apparently blessed the water here in about 1200, which then gained miraculous powers, curing all diseases. People were talking about its healing powers as recently as the 1930s. The well is now in someone’s front garden.